Don’t cringe, this is a topic we need to take seriously! Your gut health, your microbiome, is one of the most important things we can do for our health. According to Healthline, it’s actually way more important than we thought. Its impact on our whole body is a lot to take in. A healthy gut leads to a strong immune system, heart health, brain health, a better mood, better sleep, and better digestion. It also prevents some cancer and disease! So what happens when you feel constipation coming on, and you have absolutely no idea what could have caused it. The answer may actually surprise you. From anxiety to not enough fiber, here are the 11 most common causes of constipation and how you can treat it naturally. Keep reading for more!
11 Common Causes of Constipation
While it may be difficult to pinpoint the exact cause of your constipation, there are a few reasons why you may be not feeling the greatest, digestion-wise. According to the NHS, constipation is when stool remains in the colon or the large intestine for too long. The colon then absorbs too much water from the stool, and you’re left with, well … something hard and dry. A single factor or a combination of the following may be the reason.
- You’re not eating enough fiber (fruits, vegetables, grains, etc.)
- Your routine has recently changed (eating, sleep, exercise, etc.)
- Ignoring your body’s instinct to go to the bathroom and pass the stool
- Lack of exercise
- Having a fever or being sick
- Being overweight or underweight
- Your medication
How You Can Treat the Issue Using Natural Methods
As always, please see a doctor if this issue is causing you pain or any of the following: it persists for longer than 14 days, you experience bleeding, tiredness or you have unexplained weight loss. If you want to treat constipation, the following are a few ways you can do so in a more natural way.
- Drink more water
- Eat more fiber
- Drink coffee
- Take an herbal laxative (we love Bye Bye Bloat from the brand Love Wellness)
- Try a low FODMAP diet
- Eat foods that are rich in probiotics (like yogurt) or take a probiotic supplement
- Eat foods that are rich in prebiotics (bananas, garlic, chickpeas)
- Try some prunes!
- Stay away from any type of diary to let your system cool down
The post 11 Common Causes of Constipation and How You Can Treat It Naturally appeared first on Amodrn.