Refuel your body with this clean, protein-rich meal postworkout!
You know it’s important to refuel after your workout. Here’s a recipe that fits the bill for meal number one: post-weight workout. We’ve taken a classic New Orleans dish, jambalaya, and gave it a clean makeover. Toss in different fresh vegetables for a good dose of carbs, fiber and immune-boosting antioxidants. Here are three clean tweaks:
- Quinoa is a quick-cooking, high-protein, fiber-rich whole grain.
- Fatty andouille sausage is replaced by lean chicken sausage.
- Extra protein and zinc comes from the super-lean, omega-3-rich shrimp
Ready in: 30 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 low-sodium chicken sausage, sliced into 6 rounds (try: Trader Joe’s)
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion, zucchini, bell pepper, garlic and sausage slices for 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and toss to coat, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes to skillet and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cover the pan. Cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and place onto plates. Top with green onions. Serve.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 400, Total Fats: 15 g, Saturated Fat: 3 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 125 mg, Sodium: 500 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 39 g, Dietary Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 24 g, Iron: 4 mg[/colored_box]