- 1 lb ground bison
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp black olives, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp basil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jar (24 oz) unsalted tomato sauce (organic, if possible)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix together with your hands.
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. While oil is warming, form golf-ball size meatballs.
- Put the meatballs into the pan, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip. Turn them every 2 to 3 minutes to brown the sides.
- Lower heat to medium, pour sauce over meatballs and cover. Cook for an additional 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally until thoroughly cooked.
Nutrients per serving (makes 4 servings): Calories: 380, Total Fats: 22 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 80 mg, Sodium: 220 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 19 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 9 g, Protein: 24 g, Iron: 4 mg
“Bison is by far my favorite meat to use because it is leaner than chicken, packed with protein and tastes like filet mignon. Try this with a side of broccoli or on a whole wheat sub.” – Taylor Ryan, Oxygen reader.